« back to encyclopedia search results
An old Scottish cows' milk cheese originating in the parish of Dunlop in Ayrshire. It seems certain that it was first made by Barbara Gilmour around 1688, and it was the first Scottish cheese to be firm enough to travel (resembling Cheshire in flavour and character) so it's fame quickly spread.
Production ceased in 1940, and has only been spasmodic since the War so Dunlop is hard to find, but an excellent version is now made by Ann Dorward at West Clerkland Farm, Stewarton, Strathclyde from both pasteurised and unpasteurised milk from her own Ayrshire cows.
Pasteurised cheeses are mild with a grassy flavour, and if kept for over 6 months, develop a hint of caramel. Unpasteurised cheeses have a deeper nutty taste. Cheeses are made in 2.5kg and 50kg truckles.