« back to encyclopedia search results
Horehound cough sweets - to make
100g/4 oz fresh horehound leaves, ½ teaspoon of crushed aniseed, 3 crushed cardamom pods, 600ml/1 pint water, 350g/12 oz white sugar, 350g/12 oz soft brown sugar.
1. Put the horehound leaves, aniseed and cardamom pods into the water, and simmer for 20 minutes
2. Strain through a filter, such as a coffee paper.
3. Dissolve the two types of sugar in the flavoured water, over a low heat, the bring to the boil, and heat until the syrup hardens when drops are put into cold water.
4. Pour into an oiled tray.
5. Score, when partially cooled.
6. Break into pieces, and wrap individually in waxed or silicon paper. See ‘Horehound’
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at ‘Simon Scrutton French Cookery Classes’ on Google – and learn how to make top class bistro-style dishes. Suitable for beginners upwards. Small classes.