« back to encyclopedia search results
A semi-hard French cows" milk cheese, with a dark yellow rind. Originally made by Trappist monks in around 1830, at the Abbey of Entrammes Laval, in the department of Mayenne, east of Paris - but now made commercially under this name. It has a mellow flavour, and a smooth springy soft paste. See 'Port-du-Salut'
It became a popular cheese in Paris, and in 1938 the cheese was legally-defined. After the Second World War, the mark was sold to a commercial operation - selling under the name 'Port Salut' - but the monks have continued to make smaller amounts of the original cheese, but cheese are now rare. See 'Port Salut'