« back to encyclopedia search results
Fish; Filleting Round Fish such as Cod
Photos to come. Equip yourself with a sharp knife, then put the fish flat on steady surface.
1. Cut down and around the head, you will be able to feel the bone as a guide. See photo 1 (top left)
2. Run down one side of the back bone towards the tail. You should end up with something like photo 2 (top right).
3. Put the fish on its side with the cut half upwards, and run the knife down from the head to tail, again keeping close to the bone. See photo 3 (bottom left).
4. Remove the fillet, see photo 4 (bottom right), then turn the fish over and repeat the process on the other side.
5. Check each fillet for small bones.
The washed head and bones can be used for making stock, or frozen for another time.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at ‘Simon Scrutton French Cookery Classes’ on Google – and learn how to make top class bistro-style dishes. Suitable for beginners upwards. Small classes.