« back to recipes search results
Aubergine Salad Recipe
A very good accompaniment for barbecues and buffets - easy to prepare.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
For 4/6 people:
- 1 kilo/2¼ lbs aubergines
- 50ml/2 fl oz olive oil
- 90g/3oz chopped shallots
- 120g/4oz tomato purée
- 2 big cloves garlic, peeled & crushed
- a small bunch of coriander (about 10g/½ oz)
- 1 rounded teaspoon (6ml) ground cumin
- salt & pepper
- a small bunch of chives (about 12 chives), chopped
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2. Prick the aubergines all over with a fork, place on a baking tray and brush lightly with olive oil.
3. Roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes until soft & collapsed.
4. When cool enough to handle, slice in half lengthways, remove the skin & discard, chop the pulp & drain in a sieve to remove excess liquid.
5. Heat 50 ml olive oil in a big s/steel saucepan, sear the shallots, add the tomato purée and let the mixture brown gently for 10 minutes
6. Add the garlic, aubergine pulp, coriander, cumin plus salt & pepper.
7. Cook over a low heat for 15 minutes, adding most of the chives towards the end of cooking.
Serve as a ball-shaped accompaniment, garnished with the remaining chives.