« back to recipes search results
Baked Alaska Recipe
A dessert consisting of a sponge cake base covered with your favourite iced cream, the whole covered with a meringue mixture.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
A thin sponge cake base
Enough ice cream to fill a round bowl the same size as the cake base
For a cake base of about 8 inch/20cm -
- 5 medium Egg Whites
- ½ teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 140g/5 oz Caster Sugar
- Slightly soften the ice cream so you can shape it.
- Line a round bowl with cling film, and fill it with ice cream - return it to the deep freeze to set.
- Heat the oven to its maximum temperature (about 250ºC).
- Whip the egg whites until fairly stiff, then fold in the caster sugar and Cream of Tartar (if using) - using a cutting motion, so as not to release too much air.
- Position the ice cream on the sponge cake and cover it completely with the meringue mixture.
- Put the dessert on a baking sheet, lined with non-stick baking paper, and put in the oven for 3 minutes.
Serve immediately on a very cold plate