« back to recipes search results
Baked Beans Recipe
Suitable for vegans, if the bacon is left out.
For 4 generous helpings:
- 8oz (230g) dried white beans or black-eyed beans
- 1 medium onion and 1 big carrot, peeled and roughly-chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 big or 2 medium cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 rashers of streaky bacon; de-rinded, and chopped (can be left out for vegetarians)
- 500 -550ml bottle of passata
- 2 big pinches of dried sage
- salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Wash the beans and check them for any small stones that they might hold.
2. Cover them with cold water and leave them to stand overnight - no longer or they will start to ferment.
3. Drain them, and discard the water, then place them in a big pan with the first onion, carrot and bay leaf.
4. Cover with fresh cold water and bring to the boil, holding this temperature for at least 10 minutes - this removes mild poisons held by all pulses of this type.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer for 90 minutes, then drain and set aside, removing the bay leaf and vegetables.
6. 'Sweat' he chopped onions, bacon and garlic in the olive oil until transparent.
7. Stir in the beans, sage and passata and bring to simmering point. Cover and cook very slowly for 75 minutes or until very tender.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
The beans will keep well in the fridge for a few days.
Also see 'Boston Baked Beans'