« back to recipes search results
Bara Brith Recipe
A traditional Welsh cake, flavoured with dried fruit, candied peel and mixed spice
2lbs/1 kilo Plain Flour
8oz/250gr Butter, at room temperature
3oz/90gr Candied Peel
½ teaspoon of Mixed Spice
3 teaspoons (15ml) dried Yeast
A little Milk
1 level teaspoon (4ml) Salt
8oz/250gr Soft Brown Sugar
2 medium Eggs, lightly-beaten
Equipment needed: A deep baking tin, capable
1. Mix the dried yeast with a little warm, but not hot, milk. Set it aside for about 20 minutes, or until its froths
2. Rub the butter into the flour, then add all the dry ingredients, and mix thoroughly.
3. Add the eggs, followed by the yeast and mix until you have a soft dough.
4. Place the dough in the baking tin, which you have previously lined with silicon paper and either loosely cover this with cling film, or place the whole tin in a plastic bag.
5. Put the cake in a warm place (such as an airing cupboard) for about an hour – or until it’s doubled in size.
6. Heat an oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
7. Uncover the cake and bake it in the oven for 90 minutes.
8. Remove it from the oven, and insert a small sharp knife into the centre. If this comes out clean, the cake is ready, if not return the cake to the oven for another short period.
When the cake has cooled completely, it should be served as a fruit loaf – with plenty of butter.