« back to recipes search results
Barbecue Sauce Recipe
This goes very well with chicken or pork when hot, and is a good dipping sauce for tortillas etc when at room temperature.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
For 8 people:
- 4 tablespoons (120ml) vegetable oil, such as groundnut or sunflower
- 1 medium Onion, finely-chopped
- 2 medium cloves of Garlic, peeled an chopped
- 2 sticks of Celery, finely-chopped
- 6 tablespoons (90ml) Tomato Purée
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) runny Honey
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) light-browm Muscavado Sugar
- 6 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 8 tablespoons Wine Vinegar
- the juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground Ginger
- 2 heaped teaspoons (12ml) English Mustard Powder
- 4 teaspoons (20ml) Tabasco Sauce
- Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper
- Put the oil in a stainless steel pan over a medium heat, and add the onion, garlic and celery - fry until soft but don't allow to brown.
- Mix in the tomato purée, honey, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and lemon juice.
- Cook slowly for 5-6 minutes before adding the ginger - then 2 minutes later the tomato purée.
- Simmer the mixture gently for 15 minutes then whisk-in the mustard powder and Tabasco.
Serve either hot or at room temperature as a dipping sauce.