« back to recipes search results
Bean Sprouts - to make
Buy some dried 'Mung Beans' from an oriental grocer - or possibly from your supermarket.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
Equipment: you will need a perforated flat surface; an old metal plate punched with holes, or a Chinese bamboo steamer are ideal.2 pieces of muslin.
1. Measure 30g/1oz of Mung Beans.
2. Wash the beans several times in water, then leave them to soak in warm water overnight.
3. Rinse the beans again, until the water going through them is clear.
4. Dampen the muslin, and place one piece on your perforated container.
5. Spread the beans over the muslin, and sprinkle them with a little more lukewarm water.
6. Cover the beans with the second piece of muslin, and put them in a warm dark place. An airing cupboard is ideal.
7. Keep them moist, by sprinkling them with warm water several times over the next few days.
In 3 days you should have crisp bean sprouts. Alfalfa, Chick peas and Soybeans are also popular sprouted in this way.