« back to recipes search results
Beef, Salt - to Cook
This can be made with your own salt beef - see our recipe 'Beef, To Salt' or a piece of beef bought from your butcher. He may need notice.
For about 10 servings:
A 2.6 - 3kg piece of Salt Brisket or Silverside
- 14 medium Carrots, scraped, but left whole
- 14 medium Onions, peeled
- 12 small Turnips
- 6 Medium Parsnips, peeled, ten cut down the centre - lengthways
- A large sprig of fresh Thyme or 1 teaspoon of Dried Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Rinse the meat in cold water.
- Put it in a very large pan - giving it plenty of room to move - and cover it with cold water.
- Bring the water slowly to the boil, then reduce the heat, skimming off any skum as it comes to the surface.
- Add 2 of the carrots, 2 onions and the thyme and bay leaves.
- Cover the pan and simmer very gently for about 4 hours.
- About 40 minutes before the beef is ready, fish out the flavouring vegetables which will be mushy by now, and ass the remaining carrots, onions and the turnips or parsnips.
- Remove the beef from the pan and transfer it to a serving platter. Surround it with the drained vegetables.
Serve with dumplings, the cooking juices (which should be sieved and skimmed of any fat), English mustard, horseradish and plainly-boiled potatoes. See 'Dumplings, chervil'; 'Dumplings, herb"