« back to recipes search results
Beef Stroganoff Recipe
A quick, and easy beef dish, ideal for dinner parties. The quality of the beef is important.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
For 4 people:
- 1 kilo/2lb 3oz beef-fillet tail piece or piece of rump, with any fat removed - cut into slices
- 1 medium Onion, peeled and finely-chopped
- 120g/4oz Mushrooms, sliced
- 60g/2oz Butter
- 1 rounded dessertspoon (10ml) Dijon Mustard
- 1 rounded dessertspoon (10ml) Plain Flour
- 170ml/6 fl oz Soured Cream
- Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper
- The juice of half a Lemon
1.Trim the steak of any sinews, and place it between two sheets of cling wrap, then gently beat it with a rolling pin or bat, until it is thin.
2. Cut this into long thin strips.
3. Heat half the butter in a big frying pan or wok, and fry the onions and mushrooms over a low heat until the onions are soft, and just beginning to colour.
4. Stir in the flour and mustard, until the mixture is smooth, then gently mix in the soured cream.
5. In a clean pan, heat the remaining butter until it sizzles, and fry the meat until its brown.
6. Mix the meat in with the sauce, and season with salt, pepper and the lemon juice.
Serve with boiled rice, mashed potato or lightly-buttered noodles