« back to recipes search results
Beef Tea Recipe
This was popular as a drink for invalids in the 19th century; as it provides protein in an easy to digest form, and is ideal for recovering patients who can't eat solids.
It went out of favour, with the invention of proprietary stock cubes
500gr/1 lb Shin/Leg of Beef (the gelatine sinews in these cuts give an excellent flavour)
500ml/1 pint Water
1ml/¼ teaspoon Salt
1. Chop the beef very finely- in a food processor if you have one – if not by hand, or in a mincer.
2. Put it in a large jar or bowl with the water.
3. Put this jar in another, larger, heatproof container and fill this with enough water to come more than half-way up the sides of the meat container. Cover the meat container with a lid.
4. Put this over a very low heat, or in an oven Gas 1/140C, and cook for about 8 hours.
5. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve, add the salt, and serve hot.