« back to recipes search results
Black Butter Sauce Recipe
A traditional accompaniment to Globe Artichokes and, when capers are added, Skate. It must be prepared at the very last moment.
For 4 Globe Artichokes:
- 250g/8 oz Unsalted Butter
- the juice of 1 Lemon, strained
- Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper
- A dash of White Wine Vinegar and a dessertspoon of roughly-chopped Capers, if serving with Skate.
- Gently melt the butter in a stainless steel pan.
- Increase the heat until the butter begins to foam, then add the leomon juice and a little salt and pepper.
- Swill the pan round and continue cooking until the butter starts to become hazel in colour. It must be watched closely at this stage, as it mustn't burn.
Pour over the artichokes while it's still foaming and serve. If using for skate, add a dash of white wine vinegar and a dessertspoon (10ml) of roughly-chopped capers.