« back to recipes search results
Blackcurrant Soufflé; Iced - Recipe
A delicious and easy to serve dessert, based on Italian meringue. Ideally it should be served with a few fresh blackcurrants, sprinkled with icing sugar.
Blackberries make an ideal replacement, still use the Crème de Cassis, unless you can find Crème de Mure (blackberry).
The process seems long, but is easy, as is serving.
Equipment needed: A sugar thermometer
Ingredients for 6:
- 450g/1 lb Blackcurrants, washed; or an equal quantity of frozen fruit.
- 350g/12 oz Caster Sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30ml_ Crème de Cassis, or full-strength Ribena
- 4 large Egg Whites
- 115ml/5 fl oz Water
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) Vegetable Oil
- Simmer the blackcurrants in 115g of the caster sugar and a few tablespoons of water, until they burst.
- Purée the fruit, then sieve it, discarding the seeds.
- Mix in the liquor, then allow to cool, then refrigerate
- Meanwhile, make the meringue - put the remaining sugar in a small pan with 115ml of water.
- Place over a low heat, and stir until the sugar has dissolved, the increase the heat until it reaches 120ºC (hard-boiled stage). Test this with a sugar thermometer.
- While this is heating, put the egg whites in a big bowl, and whish, making sure they have soft peaks by the time the sugar reaches 120ºC.
- Pour the syrup slowly into the egg whites, whisking all the time. Keep whisking until the whites are tepid, and look shiny.
- Cover them, and refrigerate them until they are cold.
- Lightly oil a 1 litre dish, or 6 individual freezer-proof dishes, with a little tasteless vegetable oil - so not olive!
- If using individual dishes, insert a oiled paper collar inside each dish - to gain height. These can be held together with a paperclip.
- Whisk the cream until it has soft peaks, them fold it into the fruit purée, follow this with the meringue mixture.
- Spoon into your chosen dish/dishes, and freeze for a minimum of 4 hours.
It's best at this stage, as it will be lightly-frozen - longer freezing will give it more the texture of ice cream