« back to recipes search results
Baby pancakes (traditional in Eastern Europe and Russia) made with wheat, buckwheat, rye or a combination of these flours. Yeast is a necessary ingredient.
They are very easy to make, and a good way of impressing your friends. They make an excellent carrier for delicious toppings.
Although blinis are best eaten hot from the pan, they can be made in advance, wrapped in stacks of 8-10 in tin foil, then re-heated in the oven.
Any left over batter will keep in the fridge overnight, but the result won't be so light.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
For about 20 blinis:
- 1 sachet of dried instant yeast
- 425ml/15 fl oz Milk
- either 450g/1lb Plain Strong White Flour, or 350g/12oz Plain Flour and 110g/4oz of Buckwheat Flour
- 300ml/10 fl oz Water
- 30g/1oz melted Butter
- 3 medium Eggs, separated
- a big pinch of Salt
- Butter, or a mixture of Butter and Sunflower oil for frying
Equipment: Food processor
- Mix the flour with the salt and dried yeast. Separate the eggs. Set aside.
- Warm the milk and water to blood temperature, and pour into your processor.
- Add the flour, melted butter and egg yolks to the processor; whizz until smooth
- Transfer to a jug, cover, then rest for an hour, by which time it should be frothing merrily.
- Just before using, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and fold into the batter.
- Grease a heavy frying pan and heat over a medium flame until it starts to smoke. Lower heat very slightly.
- Spoon in about 2 tablespoons (30ml) of batter, spreading it out quickly over the surface of the pan. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface (about 2 minutes). Turn over and cook the other side.
- Re-grease, and heat the pan between blinis, and keep cooked blinis warm, smearing each with a little butter, as you pile them up.
Keep as directed above - serve with your own toppings - such as crème fraiche and smoked salmon or caviar