« back to recipes search results
Potato, Cheddar & Chive Scones - gluten-free
These are good topped with ham, more cheese or just butter.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - learn how to make top-class dishes from beginners upwards.
For 12 scones:
240g gluten-free flour, such as Quinoa or Sorghum
60g Potato Flour
6 level teaspoons (10ml) gluten-free Baking Powder
1 rounded teaspoon (5ml) Bicarbonate of Soda
1 teaspoon Xanthum Gum (see our Mail Order Section)
½ teaspoon Salt
70g Butter, cold, cut into 12 pieces
2 medium eggs
240g Mashed Potato - at room temperature
150g Strong Cheddar, grated
a small bunch of Chives, finely-chopped
a few grinds of Black Pepper
2 tablespoons (30ml) Milk
Eggwash - made by mixing an egg with 1 tablespoon (15ml) Milk
1. Pre-heat the oven to 230º/450º/Gas 8
2. In a big bowl, mix the flour, potato flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, xanthum gum and salt.
3. Add the butter and work it into the dry ingredients, using your fingertips, until the mixture is in small clumps.
4. Make a well in the middle and break the egg into it.
5. Add the mashed potato, grated Cheddar, chives and pepper.
6. Pour in the milk and slowly mix the liquid into the dry ingredients until you have achieved a smooth dough - you may need to add a little more milk so it all hold together.
7. On a lightly-floured surface, roll out the dough to a height of around 3cm, then use a 6cm pastry cutter to cut out the scones.
8. Brush the tops, but not the sides, with eggwash.
9. Bake on a tray, lined with silicon paper for about 20 minutes - they are done when they are golden brown.
10. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes before halving, topping and serving.