« back to recipes search results
Porter Cake Recipe
A traditional rich Irish fruit cake, made with Guinness.
- 450g/1 lb sifted plain white flour
- 450g/1 lb soft brown sugar
- 450g/1 lb seedless raisins
- 225g/½ lb sultanas
- 1 level teaspoon (5ml) bicarbonate of soda, melted in a little warm Guinness
- 4 medium eggs
- 225g/½ lb butter
- 125g/4 oz glacé cherries
- 125g/4 oz blanched chopped almonds
- 125g/4 oz mixed chopped peel
- 300ml/½ pint Guinness, warmed
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- a pinch of mixed spice
- Rub the butter into the flour and add all the other dry ingredients.
- Mix together thoroughly.
- Beat the eggs with the lukewarm Guinness and add the bicarbonate of soda.
- Mix this very well into the dry cake mixture, and turn into a greased and lined cake tin, measuring about 23cm/9 ins in diameter, and 8cm/3 ins high.
- Cover the cake with greaseproof (or better still) silicone paper, and bake in a slow oven 130°C/250°F/Gas ½, for about 3-3½ hours, removing the paper for the last half hour.
- Test with a skewer (which should come out clean) before removing from the oven.
It makes a good Christmas cake, and if iced, keeps well in an airtight tin.