« back to recipes search results
Bread Sauce Recipe
This traditional sauce is ideal with roast chicken, turkey or simple game dishes such as Roast Pheasant.
- 80g/3 oz fresh white breadcrumbs
- 400ml/15 fl oz Milk
- 2 Cloves
- 1 small Onion, peeled and left whole
- a few grates freshly-grated Nutmeg
- 50g/2 oz Butter
- Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper
- Put the milk into a heavy saucepan, push the cloves into the onion and add that to the milk.
- Heat the milk slowly, watching it doesn't boil over. When it starts to bubble, remove from the heat, cover, and leave to stand for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the onions, and stir in the breadcrumbs, mixing well in with a wooden spoon so they blend with the milk.
- Season with salt, a little freshly-ground black pepper and nutmeg.
Reheat gently just before serving - a microwave is ideal.