« back to recipes search results
Brotchán Foltchep/Brotchan Foltchep Recipe
A traditional Irish leek and oatmeal soup. Three pints of young nettle leaves can replace the leeks, if desired.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
- 6 big leeks (both white and green sections), carefully split and washed
- 25g/1oz butter
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) flaked oatmeal
- 1.2 litres/2 pints milk or stock
- salt and freshly-ground pepper
- 150ml/¼ pint double cream (optional)
- Cut the leeks into chunks about 2.5cm/1 in long.
- Put the butter in a big saucepan and sweat the leeks until they are translucent, but not brown.
- Add the milk or stock to the pan, and add the oatmeal - bring to the boil.
- Cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Season to taste, and add the parsley, and cream if using, and cook for a further minute.