« back to recipes search results
Butter Beans; Braised Recipe
A good accompaniment to certain dishes, particularly 'Confit of Duck'.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
For 6 - 8 helpings:
1 medium Onion, peeled and chopped
4 rashers of streaky bacon, cut into strips
2 tablespoons (30ml) Olive Oil
1 big cloves of Garlic, peeled and chopped
12 fresh Basil leaves, shredded
2 Bay Leaves
200g/½ lb dried Butter Beans
1.2 – 1.5 litres hot Chicken Stock
4 big Tomatoes, peeled de-seeded and diced
2 tablespoons chopped Basil
Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160°/325°/Gas 3
2. In an ovenproof casserole, sweat the onion and bacon in the oil, then add the garlic, basil, bay leaves and butter beans.
3. Cover with 1.2 litres (2 pints) of the hot stock and bring to the boil.
4. Cover the pan and cook in the oven for 2 hours until very tender, adding extra stock if necessary.
5. Stir in the tomatoes and second quantity of Basil.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper and keep until ready to serve.