« back to recipes search results
Date & Fruit Cake Recipe
A delicious fruity cake based on dates and dried fruit. Easy to make, and suitable for vegans.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
1 x 2lb/1kilo deep baking tin (or a similar tin able to hold 1.2 litres of water); enough 'Bakewell' or silicon-type paper to line the tin
Ingredients for 12 good slices:
- 330gr stoned Dates, roughly dates
- 400ml Water
- 115ml Plain Flour
- 4 teaspoons (20ml) Baking Powder
- 1 heaped teaspoon (7ml) of Mixed Spice
- 115gr Wholemeal Flour
- 650gr Mixed Dried Fruit
- 60gr Ground Almonds
- 110ml Orange Juice
1. Line the baking tin with the silicon paper, and heat the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
2. Put the dates in with the measured water and bring them to the boil.
3. Remove them from the heat, and set them aside.
4. Sieve the plain flour, baking powder and mixed spice into a bowl – this will add air to it and make a lighter cake.
5. Add the wholemeal flour, mixed fruit and ground almonds and stir to combine the mixture.
6. Stir in the date mixture and the orange juice.
7. Spoon the mixture into the cake/loaf tin.
8. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a thin knife or skewer comes out clean.
9. Cool on a rack, then keep in an air-tight tin.
It will be improved if kept overnight.