- Mix the yeast with the sugar until it dissolves, then add to the warm (not hot) milk.
- Sift the flour into a big warm bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add the butter, eggs, salt and the water and yeast mixture.
- Bring together, and knead to a smooth dough.
- Place in a clean bowl, and cover with lightly oiled cling wrap.
- Put in a warm place (such as an airing cupboard) to prove and double in size - this will take between 1 and 2 hours.
- Knock the dough back, with your fist to release any trapped air - and the dough is ready to use.