« back to recipes search results
Fish Cakes; English - Recipe
Any firm cooked fish can be used, but salmon or cod are good; as is smoked haddock that's first been poached in milk. They freeze very well on a flat tray, and can then be transferred to a bag, for neater storage.
For 12-16 cakes depending on size:
- 500g of mashed potato, without any added butter
- 500g of lightly-cooked fish - flaked, or cut into small pieces, and any bones carefully removed
- the yolk of 2 big Eggs
- about 4 tablespoons of Chopped Parsley
- a small bunch of fresh Chives, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of Anchovy Essence
- 120g/4 ox Butter
- Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper
- Plain Flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- Butter for frying
- Mix together the first six ingredients.
- Melt the butter gently, then mix it into the fish mixture
- Season to taste, bearing in mind that the Anchovy paste is already salty.
- Form the mixture into cakes of equal size - tiny fish cakes with crispy bacon make an excellent brunch dish.
- Dunk the cakes in the seasoned flour and cover them as thoroughly as possible.
- Melt a little butter, over a medium heat, in a frying pan, and fry the cakes so that they're golden-brown on both sides.
Serve with Rémoulade or Tartare Sauce.