« back to recipes search results
A French version of pizza, from the region of Provence, that was once part of what is now Italy.
For 3-4 people:
- 450g mild Onions, finely-sliced (Spanish are best)
- 200g Red Onions, finely-sliced
- 2 big Sweet Red Peppers
- a tin of Anchovies, drained of their oil
- a handful of pitted black olives, cut in half
- Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper
- Half a batch of 'Pizza Dough; Enriched' (see above) - the remainder can be frozen
- Grill the peppers, until they are black and charred all over, put them in a plastic bag to cool.
- In a covered saucepan, gently sweat both types of onions in the oil, for about 10 minute - stirring from time to time.
- Remove the lid, and sweat for a further 5 minutes to cook off any excess liquid.
- Season the onions with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Remove the peppers from their bag, and peel off the blackened skin, deseed them, and cut the flesh into strips.
- Preheat the oven to 225ºC/425ºF/gas mark 7.
- Lightly oil a baking tray.
- Roll the pizza dough out into a rectangle no more than ½cm thick, and lay it on the baking tray.
- Spread this with a thick layer of onions, leaving a 1cm border all round.
- Lay the pepper strips on top in a diagonal grid, and put half an olive in each square, scatter over the anchovy fillets - cutting them in half if they are large.
- Place in the pre-heated oven, and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the base is crisp.
Serve with a salad.