« back to recipes search results
An egg dish from the Basque region of South West France, ingredients include peppers and tomatoes. The mixture can be prepared ahead up to the end of stage 7.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - learn how to make top-class dishes from beginners upwards.
For about 4/5 people:
- 1 medium Onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove of Garlic, peeled & chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) Olive Oil
- 1 Red Pepper
- 4 big tomatoes, skinned
- 5 eggs
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Sweat the onion in the oil in a heavy pan, until transparent but not brown.
- Meanwhile, de-seed the pepper and cut up into small pieces.
- Add the garlic and pepper to the onion, and continue cooking slowly until the onion is tender.
- Chop the tomatoes and add them to the stew.
- Add a little salt and simmer until the mixture is moist but not wet.
- Lightly beat the eggs.
- Share the tomato & pepper mixture between 10 ramekins or similar containers.
- Share the eggs between the ramekins and mix well in until incorporated.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven (180ºC/350ºF/Gas 4) for about 15 minutes or until the eggs look set.
Serve with lightly buttered bread.