« back to recipes search results
Pilau Rice Recipe
Easy to make and better than anything we've ever had at a restaurant. Reheats well in a microwave or steamer. Like all cooked rice dishes, it must be kept in the fridge.
It's an ideal accompaniment to dishes such as 'Kofte & Chorizo Hotpot' (q.v.) and as a BBQ side dish as well as the more obvious curry.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
For 4 people:
- A big pinch of Saffron threads or a little packet of Saffron powder
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) Hot Water
- 6 tablespoons (90ml) Sunflower or Groundnut Oil
- 1 medium-sized Cinnamon stick
- 6 Cardamom pods
- 4 whole Cloves
- 3 medium Onions, peeled and thinly-sliced
- 2 big or 4 medium Cloves of Garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) finely peeled, then chopped Ginger Root
- 250g/9oz Basmati Rice
- 600ml/1 pint Beef Stock (q.v.) or half a stock cube dissolved in water. Marigold 'Swiss Vegetable Bouillon' is ideal for a completely vegetarian dish
- a little freshly-ground Pepper
- Soak the saffron in the hot water for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan over a medium heat, then add the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods and cloves and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the sliced onions and fry for about 10 minutes, or until golden - don't allow them to burn.
- Add the garlic, ginger and rice. Mix well, to cook the rice, then fry for 5 minutes - stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock, and bring to the boil.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the saffron, and its liquid.
- Cook for a further 2 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed the liquid.
- Season with a little pepper, and check that there is enough salt - unless you are an addict you shouldn't need any, as the stock will be well flavoured.