« back to recipes search results
Gingerbread Cake Recipe
This improves and becomes pleasantly sticky if kept in an air-tight tin for a few days.
This quantity will fill a 2 lb/1 kilo loaf tin.
This quantity will fill a 2 lb/1 kilo loaf tin. A generous quantity for 8 people.
225g Plain Flour
1 teaspoon (5ml) Ground Mixed Spice
3 teaspoons (15ml) Ground Ginger
1 teaspoon (5ml) Bicarbonate of Soda
150g Chinese Stem Ginger
1 medium Egg
90ml Black Treacle
90ml Golden Syrup
120g Demerara Sugar
Equipment needed: a 2 lb/1 kilo loaf tin; Oven; Silicon/Bakewell Paper; Tin Foil
1. Heat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
2.Line the loaf tin with non-stick silicon paper, and set aside.
3. Sift the flour, spices, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a mixing bowl.
4. Finely chop the ginger, set 1 tablespoon aside, but add the remainder to the flour mixture.
5. Mix together the milk and egg.
6. Put the butter sugar, syrup and treacle into a small saucepan and heat gently until the butter has melted.
7. Add the butter mixture to the flour, followed by the milk and egg.
8. Mix this together well.
9. Pour the contents into the lined tin and sprinkle over the reserved chopped ginger.
10. Put the tin on the middle shelf of the pre-heated oven.
11.After 30 minutes, loosely cover the cake with tin foil, and return the cake to the oven for a further 30 minutes
12. Remove the cake from the oven and insert a knife into the centre. It should come out clean; if not return the cake to the oven for a further few minutes.
13. Leave the cake to cool in its tin, then turn out onto a plate – or a wire rack (if you have one).
14. Once completely cold, keep in an air-tight tin or wrap in tin foil.