« back to recipes search results
Glamorgan Sausages Recipe
A traditional Welsh sausage made with chopped leeks, onions, breadcrumbs, mustard and cheese - which should be Caerphilly, although Cheddar works well. Far superior to most types of vegetarian sausages on offer!
For 8 sausages:
6oz (175g) fresh breadcrumbs
6oz (175g) good Caerphilly/Cheddar cheese, grated
1 medium leek (the white & pale green parts), washed and very finely chopped
1 tablespoon (15ml) chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon (15ml) chopped fresh chives
1 rounded teaspoon of mustard powder
salt & freshly-ground pepper
2 medium eggs, separated
about 4 tablespoons (60ml) fresh milk , to mix
plain flour for coating
1 tablespoon (15ml) vegetable oil
½oz (15g) butter
- In a large bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, cheese, leek, parsley, chives and mustard.
- Season with salt and pepper, add 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk and mix thoroughly (setting the remaining egg white aside). Add enough milk to bind the mixture together.
- Divide the mixture into 8 and shape into sausages.
- Beat the remaining egg white until frothy, and dip the sausages into the egg white, then roll in flour to coat.
- Heat the oil and butter together in a frying pan and fry the sausages for 5-10 minutes until they're golden.
Serve hot or cold.