« back to recipes search results
Gooseberry Pickle Recipe
This can be served with any cold meat, but particularly cuts through the richness of duck.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
- 1.8kg/4 lbs Gooseberries (under-ripe if possible)
- 1.2 litres/2 pints White Wine Vinegar
- 240g/8 oz White Sugar
- A level teaspoonful of ground Ginger
- 10cm/4 in piece of Cinnamon stick
- 24 whole cloves
- Top and tail the gooseberries.
- Make a flavoured syrup - over a low heat - from the vinegar, sugar, ground ginger, cinnamon and cloves.
- Poach the gooseberries for 3 minutes if under-ripe, 2 minutes if ripe in the syrup.
- Remove the gooseberries and place in hot sterilised jars.
- When the syrup's cold, pour it into the jars - making sure the gooseberries are covered.
If possible leave for a few weeks in a cool, dark place before using.