« back to recipes search results
Grouse; Roast Recipe
Traditional recipe for roasting young birds.
1 young grouse, prepared for the oven by your butcher
- 7g/¼ oz Butter
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) Olive Oil
- 4 sprigs of Fresh Thyme
- 2 rashers of Streaky Bacon, with the rind removed
- a small bunch of Watercress
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400F°/Gas 6.
- Season the bird/s with sea salt and pepper, and eith push the legs well in to form a good shape, or tie them with string.
- Melt the butter with the olive oil over a medium heat and sear the bird/s on both breasts until coloured.
- Place the bird/s on a baking tray, scatter over the thyme - then arrange the bacon over the top of the bird/s so that the breasts are covered, tucking the end underneath.
- Roast it/them for 20 minutes (rare) or for 30 (medium), then remove from the oven and cover with foil and rest for 10 minutes.
Serve with bread sauce, a bundle of watercress and roasted game chips. See 'Bread Sauce'; 'Roasted Game Chips"