« back to recipes search results
The official 'cold' sandwich of Philadelphia, U.S.A. Ideal as part of a substantial picnic.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
For each hoagie:
- A long bread roll, or half baguette
- A little Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- A sprig of chopped fresh Oregano leaves - removed from the stalk
- Iceberg lettuce, finely- shredded
- One or two ripe, sweet, tomatoes, thinly-sliced
- A generous helping of good, thinly-sliced, Salami and Mortadella mixed
- Optional extras: sliced Artichoke Hearts and sliced hot or medium hot peppers.
- Split the roll down the middle, but leave the 'hinge'.
- Take out some of the soft crumb, and brush the inside with olive oil, and sprinkle on the herbs.
- Layer the lettuce, tomato slices and meat, and finish with a spread of mayonnaise.
Clamp together and eat with both hands.