« back to recipes search results
Houmus / Homous / Humous / Hummus Recipe
A dip of Arab origins, popular in Greece and the Eastern Mediterranean; it is made with pureed chick peas, sesame seed paste (tahini), lemon juice and garlic.
Making your own will be far superior to anything you'll find in a supermarket,
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
For 6 generous helpings:
- 600g/1 lb 5oz cooked chickpeas and 150ml/¼ pint of their cooking liquid (or water)
- 100g/4oz tahini (sesame seed paste, stirred; 3 medium cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- The sieved juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or coriander
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil.
- Purée the chickpeas, tahini, garlic, salt and cumin with the lemon juice and cooking liquid.
- The mixture should have the consistency of thick mayonnaise, if it's a little dry, add a little water and blend again.
Serve on a plate drizzled with the olive oil, and sprinkled with the chopped coriander or parsley; and eat spread onto strips of pitta bread.