« back to recipes search results
Jambon de Paris Recipe
An excellent home-made ham recipe, if you have a whole leg of pork.
A leg of Pork - weighing about 5 lbs/2.3 kilos - boned internally (without cutting through the exterior flesh
1 batch of Brine See 'Brine for Ham'
- Put the boned ham in a crock, previously cleaned with boiling water, and cover with the brine.
- Put in a cool place, cover, and leave for a minimum of 10 days.
- Remove the meat from the crock, and tie it into as even a shape as possible.
- Wrap it in clean muslin.
- Weigh it.
- Put it in a big pan, and cover with cold water, and bring slowly to the boil.
- Simmer it for 10 minutes, then drain off the water, and start again with more cold water.
- Bring it slowly to the boil again, then reduce the heat so the water just ripples.
- Cook it at this speed for 40 minutes per kilo, plus an extra 20 minutes - from the start of simmering.
- Allow it to cool in its liquid - still wrapped - overnight, under a weight adjusted to give the ham a good shape.