« back to recipes search results
Pesto / Pistou Sauce Recipe
Although widely available in jars in supermarkets, none will approach the recipe given below. Never be tempted to use dry basil, it simply won't work.
Basil plants are easy to find, but rather fussy about where they live; they like warmth, but not wind or draughts. They are still better value than a packet of fresh basil.
Once made, the sauce will keep for up to 2 weeks in the fridge, although it might lose a little colour.
Stir well before using, as all the goodies go to the bottom.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - learn how to make top-class dishes from beginners upwards.
Equipment: Food processor
- The leaves from 4 sprigs of fresh Basil
- 2 big or 4 medium cloves of Garlic, peeled
- 60g/2oz freshly-grated Parmesan
- 30g/1oz Pine Nuts
- 230ml/8 fl oz good Olive Oil
- a little Salt and plenty of freshly-grated Pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blend well without over-processing.
Use as a sauce for pasta or to stir into Pesto Soup (q.v.).
Recipe taken from 'Foolproof Entertaining' by Simon Scrutton