« back to recipes search results
Kidneys in their Overcoats - Recipe
A popular breakfast dish at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries, and well worth trying if you can find lambs' kidneys still in their jacket of fat.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
- 2-3 lambs' kidneys per person, still covered with their own fat
- One slice of warm toast per kidney
1. Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
2. Cook the kidneys, still covered with their fat, for 25 minutes.
3. Put each kidney on a slice of toast, and break open.
Serve with salt and pepper.