« back to recipes search results
Pease Pudding Recipe
Traditionally served with boiled bacon, ham, salt pork and sometimes black pudding.
- 500g/1lb dried Split Peas (yellow are best, but green can be used)
- 60g/2oz Butter (plus a little to butter the pudding basin)
- 1 medium Egg
- Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper
- Soak the peas for a few hours in cold water.
- Drain, and cook until soft in new water - the time for this will depend on the age of the peas, but 40-60 is average; yellow peas taking a little longer.
- Mix in the butter, followed by salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the egg thoroughly.
- Turn into a buttered pudding basin, then cover with greaseproof paper, followed by a layer of tin foil, then steam for an hour. (if you are boiling ham or bacon at the same time, the basin can be balanced in the simmering liquid).