« back to recipes search results
Lemon Curd Recipe
A delicious preserve, that's easy to make in a short time and tastes better than any bought version. Forms the basis of an excellent Lemon Meringue Pie.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
For 4 x 450g/1 lb jars:
350g/12 oz Butter
900g/1¾ lbs Caster Sugar
the juice of 6 Lemons
8 medium Eggs, lightly beaten
- Melt the butter and in a double saucepan - or in a bowl, resting on a saucepan of simmering water - over a low heat.
- Add the lemon juice and a few seconds later, the beaten egg yolks.
- Stir constantly with a wooden spoon, keeping the water at simmering point, and not touching the bottom of the top saucepan or bowl.
- Continue cooking and stirring until the mixture starts to thicken. When it's thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, remove the mixture from the heat and although it to cool a little..
- After about 10 minutes, pour it into warm sterilised jam jars.
- Cool, cover and refrigerate.