« back to recipes search results
Pasta - egg, to make
..Quick & easy to make.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - learn how to make top-class dishes from beginners upwards.
Allow 100gr of flour (preferably 'Tipo 00') per person; and for each 100gr use 1 medium egg, and 1 teaspoon (5ml) olive oil.
- Make a mound of flour on your worktop, and make a well in the centre.
- Mix the required number of eggs gently, and add them to the central well.
- Add the olive oil.
- Draw in the flour from the edges with a fork until you start to form a paste.
- Continue the process with your hands until you have a smooth dough - a little more flour might be necessary if the dough is sticky, perhaps a dribble of olive oil extra, if it's a little dry. The precise quantity will depend on the exact size of the eggs, and the moisture content of the flour.
- Roll the mixture into a ball, and cover with cling wrap. Allow it to rest and relax for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut the ball into smaller segments and pass these through the widest setting of a pasta machine - repeat this operation on the same setting.
- Reduce the setting, and pass the dough through twice more.
- Reduce again - possibly to the second thinnest setting and repeat the process.
- Hang the pasta on a clean broom handle or a clothes horse to dry.
It can now be cooked in boiling water, and will only take 2-3 minutes. Or it can be stored on a lightly-floured baking tray, in a cool place, and it will keep for a couple of days.