« back to recipes search results
Meat Balls - Thai
A delicious variation on the Italian theme, although beef is the named meat, any other meat (and many combinations), including chicken and duck, could be used.
You could make double the quantity, and freeze the remainder, with little extra work.
For 4 people:
- 750g/1 lb 10 oz minced Beef (or other meat, see above)
- 1 bunch of Salad/Spring Onions, washed and very finely-sliced - including the green
- 1 Lemon, unwaxed if possible, the zest removed and set aside, the juice likewise
- A 2.5cm/1 in piece of fresh Ginger, peeled and very finely-chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) Thai Fish Sauce (Nam Pla)
- 2 medium cloves of Garlic, peeled and fnely-chopped
- 2 tablespoons of thick Chili Sauce - such as Encona
- 1 bunch of Coriander leaves and stalks (about 30g/1 oz), washed & chopped
- 2 thick slices of White Bread, the crusts removed, and grated or processed into crumbs
- 1 large Egg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) Vegetable Oil
- Put the beef mince, or your chosen minced meat into a bowl, and add all the other ingredients - except the oil - and blend well together.
- Leave the ingredients to rest for at least an hour, or for up to four, in a fridge.
- Form the mixture into balls of about cherry-tomato size, and either fry or refrigerate or freeze until needed.
- When ready, fry in the oil over a medium heat, until the balls look attractively brown.
Excellent served with 'Caramelised Tomato Sauce', or 'Tomato and Spinach Sauce';