« back to recipes search results
Meringue - large round
This is an ideal summer dessert, if cut into slices and served with strawberries or raspberries with whipped cream; or with a compote of summer fruits. See 'Compote of Summer Fruits'
Equipment needed: A 20cm, loose-bottomed, cake tin - non-stick if possible, otherwise lined with silicon/Bakewell paper
For about 8 people:
- 5 large/6 medium Egg Whites (about 5 fl oz)
- 300g/10 oz Caster Sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) White Wine Vinegar
- 2 heaped teaspoons (14ml) Cornflour
- A few drops of Vanilla Essence
- Vegetable Oil
- Set the oven to 180º/Gas 4.
- Very-lightly oil your chosen cake tin.
- Beat the egg whites in a scrupulously-clean bowl, until they stand in peaks.
- Beat in the sugar in two batches.
- Sprinkle over the cornflour, vanilla and vinegar, and fold these in gently with a large metal spoon. Don't overmix, or the air will leak out.
- Tip the mixture into the cake tin, and smooth the top.
- Put the meringue mixture in the oven, then immediately reduce the temperature down to 150ºC/Gas 3.
- Cook the meringue, without opening the oven door, for an hour and 10 minutes.
- The top should be a pale honey colour - if not, lower the heat a little further and cook for a little longer.
- Remove the meringue from the oven, and allow it to cool - don"t worry if the centre sinks a little.
Serve filled with whipped cream and with your chosen fruit.