« back to recipes search results
Ministrone Soup Recipe
This soup can be made vegetarian by the omission of the Pancetta - and is still very good.
It's best to make this soup at the last minute, to stop the pasta soaking-up too much liquid.
For 6-8 people:
- 280g cubed Pancetta (optional)
- 2 medium Onions, peeled and roughly-chopped
- 4 medium Carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 stick of Celery, diced
- 2 medium cloves of Garlic
- 2 medium Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 medium Courgettes, roughly-chopped
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped Tomatoes
- 6 tomato tins of water
- the leaves from 2 big sprigs of fresh Basil, roughly-torn
- a piece of Parmesan rind
- Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper
- 2 x 410 cans of Borlotti beans, drained and rinsed in a colander
- 100g Pasta shapes (baby ones if possible)
- Freshly-grated Parmesan , when serving
- Put the oil into a big pan over a medium-low heat.
- Add the pancetta, and stir until it starts to colour, then stir in the onion and fry until they're soft.
- Add the carrots - cook for 2 minutes - then add the garlic, potato and courgettes.
- Cook these for 2-3 minutes before adding the chopped tomatoes, followed by 4 tins of water, the leaves from the basil, the Parmesan rind and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, the lower to a gentle simmer and cook for 1 hour.
- As it cooks, it will thicken a little.
- Add the pasta and the borlotti beans and cook for a further 20 minutes.
Serve with crusty bread and a bowl of freshly-grated Parmesan