« back to recipes search results
Parsnip Croquettes Recipe
A good accompaniment to robust game dishes or Sunday roast
For 6 people:
900g/2 lbs Parsnips, peeled and with any hard core removed - cut into pieces
- 225g/8 oz Potato (floury-type), peeled and cut into pieces the same side as the parsnips
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) Salt
- 60g/2 oz Butter
- plenty of freshly-ground Black Pepper
- 1 scant teaspoon (3ml) freshly-grated Nutmeg
- Dried Breadcrumbs
- 2 Eggs, beaten with a little salt
- Oil for deep frying or oil and butter
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the parsnip and potato pieces.
- Simmer them for about 20 minutes or until they're tender.
- Drain the vegetables and pass through a mouli-légume - or mash carefully to remove all lumps.
- Mix in the butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Allow to cool until they"re cool enough to handle then shape them into croquettes a little bigger than a cork.
- Dip each in the egg wash, then roll them in the breadcrumbs until they are fully covered.
- Deep-fry at 200°C/400°F until they're golden brown or shallow fry in a mixture of oil and butter.