« back to recipes search results
Ocean Swell Jelly
'Ocean Swell' is a brand name for a type of prepared carrageen (seaweed); and this jelly a traditional way of using the product.
See Carrageen in GB Encyclopaedia
- 150ml/¼ pint dried carrageen (tightly packed)
- 1 medium egg white
- 150ml/¼ pint double cream, whipped
- 50g/2 oz caster sugar
- 600ml/1 pint water
- the peel of 1 lemon.
- Soak the carrageen in enough water to cover it for 10 minutes, then drain it.
- Add it, with the sugar and lemon peel, to the measured 600ml of water, and bring to the boil - simmer gently for 25 minutes.
- Strain it, and let it cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, whip the egg white stiffly and fold it into the whipped cream.
- Mix it with the carrageen liquid and gently heat up to just under boiling point.
- Pour into a 'wetted' mould and chill.
- Turn out and serve.