« back to recipes search results
Onions - Sweet & Sour Recipe
This is particularly good with cold roast beef
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
For about 1 kilo:
- 1 kilo of Pickling Onions
- 5 tablespoons (75ml) Olive Oil
- 600ml Water
- 3 teaspoons (15ml) Sea Salt
- 5 tablespoons (75ml) Tomato Puree
- 7 tablespoons (105ml) Red Wine Vinegar
- 5 tablespoons (75ml) Sugar
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 140g Sultanas
- Top and tail the onions, then cover them with boiling water and leave them to stand for 5 minutes.
- Drain the onions and carefully peel them.
- Cut a small cross at the root-end of each onion. This should stop the centres coming out as the onions cook.
- Heat the olive oil, over a gentle heat, in a stainless steel pan large enough to hold all the ingredients.
- Add the onions and fry them for about 5 minutes.
- Add the water, bay leaves, salt, sugar, sultanas, tomato puree and vinegar.
- Cover the pan, and simmer the ingredients for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid, and continue cooking until the onions are tender (this will depend on the size and freshness of the onions.
- Remove the onions from their sauce and set them aside.
- Continue to cook the sauce until it thickens.
- Cool before serving, then store the mixture in a sterilised jar in the fridge or a cool dark place.