« back to recipes search results
Queen of Puddings Recipe
An excellent pudding, that's easy to make.
For 4 generous helpings:
- 100g/4 oz fresh White Breadcrumbs
- 75g/3 oz Butter - at room temperature
- 150g/5 oz Caster Sugar
- the grated rind from one Unwaxed Lemon - and its juice
- ½ teaspoon (2ml) Vanilla Essence
- 600ml/1 pint Milk
- 4 medium Eggs, separated
- 4 rounded tablespoons (60ml) good Apricot or Strawberry jam
- Combine the breadcrumbs with the butter and 90g/3 oz of the sugar in a big ovenproof bowl.
- Add the grated lemon rind and the vanilla essence.
- Carefully bring the milk to the boil, then mix it into the breadcrumb mixture - stirring as you do.
- Leave this to soak for 10 minutes, then stir in the egg yolks.
- Heat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas 5.
- Bake the pudding in the oven for 20 minutes, or until it's set.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool.
- Melt the jam slowly over the heat, and add the sieved juice of the lemon.
- Cover the cooled pudding with jam and set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold in the remaining sugar. Cover the pudding with the meringue mixture.
- Reduce the oven setting to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas 4 and return the pudding to the oven for 10 minutes - or until the meringue is gold and crisp.
Serve hot or warm.