« back to recipes search results
Radicchio - fried
Not often thought of as a cooked vegetables, Radicchio takes seconds to cook in a deep-fryer; particularly if you have the vegetable pieces breadcrumbed in advance.
For 4 people:
- 1 big head of Radicchio lettuce/chicory
- 60g/2oz Flour, sieved
- 2 medium Eggs, lightly-beaten
- Salt and freshly-ground Pepper
- 115g/4oz Dried Breadcrumbs
Equipment: A deep-fryer or a deep pan and basket, plus a sugar thermometer.
1. Cut the radicchio into quarters, through the root.
2. Put the eggs in a bowl and mix with a little salt and pepper. Put the breadcrumbs onto a plate.
3. Put the flour on a big plate and one at a time shower each radicchio piece with flour, then dip each piece in the beaten egg – then straight into breadcrumbs.
4. Cover completely with the crumbs, the shake off any excess.
Can be prepared ahead up to this point, and kept in the fridge.
5. Heat the fryer to 200°C/400°F.
6. Deep-fry the pieces until the crumbs are golden – about 1 minute.
7. Drain on kitchen paper and serve as vegetable or as part of a starter, served with a lemon wedge.
Recipe taken from 'Foolproof Entertaining' by Simon Scrutton.