« back to recipes search results
Radicchio - with olive oil, buffalo mozzarella and Parmesan
Choose big radicchio for this dish as they are going to be cut in half, if you can't find buffalo Mozzarella, buy good quality Italian rather than Danish (which has a very disappointing flavour).
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - learn how to make top-class dishes from beginners upwards.
For 4 people as a Starter, or 8 as a vegetable:
- 4 big Radicchio
- a little Salt, and plenty of freshly-ground Pepper
- 2 medium cloves of garlic, peeled and finely-slivered
- 6 anchovy fillets, cut into small pieces
- 2 Mozzarella cheeses
- 6 tablespoons (90ml) Olive Oil
- 30g/1oz freshly-grated Parmesan
- 1 Lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- Fresh dressed salad leaves - if serving as a Starter
Equipment needed: An oven-proof dish big enough to hold the halved radicchio in one layer; a grill big enough for the dish
1. Pre-heat a grill.
2. Remove any loose radicchio outer leaves, and save these to use in a salad another time.
3. Cut the radicchio in half lengthways, splitting the core in half.
4. Insert the garlic slivers and anchovy pieces, at random, between the leaves on the top side.
5. Heat half the olive oil in the baking dish under the grill, remove, then arrange the radicchio cut-side-up in the baking dish.
6. Lightly salt (as the anchovy is already salty), and generously-grate the lettuce with pepper.
7. Grill until the radicchio starts to wilt, and turn brown - this will depend on the strength of your grill, but will be 5-10 minutes.
8. Cut the mozzarella very thinly, and drain of any liquid.
9. Share this over the tops of the grilled radicchio.
10. Drizzle the remaining oil over the tops, then grill again until the cheese bubbles and has golden blisters.
11. Serve, decorated with a few dressed leaves (if using as a Starter); and serve with lemon wedges - handing round a bowl of freshly-grated Parmesan.