« back to recipes search results
Rice Pudding - Welsh
An interesting twist on English rice pudding - flavoured with lemon zest.
For 4 - 6 people:
75gr/3 oz Short Pudding Rice
1 small, or half a large Cinnamon Stick
1 Bay Leaf
The finely-grated zest of a Lemon – unwaxed if possible
600ml/a generous pint Full Fat Milk; or ½ cream and ½ milk
75gr/3 oz Caster Sugar
4 medium Eggs – separated into whites and yolks
a little butter at room temperature
Equipment needed: An ovenproof dish, capable of holding 3 pints, or 6 large ramekins
1. Simmer the rice with the cinnamon stick and bay leaf, until the grains are soft.
2. Remove the cinnamon and bay leaf.
3. Stir in the sugar, then allow the mixture to cool.
4. Thoroughly mix the egg yolks in with the rice. Heat the oven to Gas 6/200C/400F.
5. Whisk the egg whites until they’re stiff, then gently fold them into the rice mixture.
6. Spoon the mixture into lightly buttered ramekins or a buttered baking dish, then bake for
10 minutes for ramekins, 15-20 for the larger container.
Lightly sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.