« back to recipes search results
Risotto alla Milanese Recipe
This is the traditional accompaniment to Ossobucco, but is also a starter in its own right.
For 6 as a starter:
400g/14 oz Arborio Rice
1 litre/1¾ pints stock (either chicken or vegetable – Marigold Swiss Stock Powder is good)
25g/1 oz diced Beef Bone-Marrow, Pancetta or Prosciutto
2 tablespoons (30ml) Shallots or Onion, finely-chopped
60g/2 oz Butter
3 tablespoons (45ml) Olive Oil
A pinch of Saffron strands – soaked in 300ml/½ pint hot water or stock
Freshly-ground Black Pepper
Salt – to taste
30g/1 oz grated fresh Parmesan
1. Bring the stock to simmering point.
2. In a heavy, wide, pan heat the butter and oil over a medium heat.
3. Add the shallot/onion and the chopped meat.
4. When the shallots are translucent, add the rice and stir until its coated with oil.
5. Add 150ml/¼ pint (or about a ladle-full) of the hot stock
6. Keep adding the stock as the previous quantity is absorbed.
7. After about 10-15 minute add the saffron and its liquid
8. When the saffron water has been absorbed finish cooking the risotto –adding stock until the rice is tender, but still has a bite.
9. Season, the amount of salt needed will depend on the saltiness of your stock.
10. Stand for 2-3 minutes away from the heat, the stir in the grated Parmesan and serve.